Thursday, July 15, 2010

O You of Little Faith...


I am now an official book reviewer on Book Sneeze. My first book: Fearless, by Max Lucado from Thomas Nelson Publishers

I have read many of Lucado's books, both adult and children books alike. Both are superbly written in such a way where it feels as if Lucado is speaking with you on your couch while sipping some Earl Grey with a twist of lemon and a squirt of honey. When I was offered to review his new book, Fearless, I jumped at the chance. When I sat down with my cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning before the family began to rev up their engines, my first impression from the title, was that I was someone who probably didn't have too many fears that this book would touch on. The word, FEAR, to me didn't exactly stand out to me as something I would consider myself to have or to be. Yet, Lucado touched on many different areas that I would have never thought of. Fear to me is something of a scary emotion. More like a bad horror film on a Friday night. But what Lucado brought to the surface, was real-life fear that I often over-look for cast aside as something of an everyday life occurrence. Such as the fear of not being able to protect my children. The fear of tomorrow. The fear of the future. The fear of not being accepted. The fear of overwhelming challenges. The fear of violence in my life, neighborhood, schools, church, family, and friends. The fear of waking up in the morning, knowing that there is an overwhelming challenge at hand, and the courage it will take to stand up to it and overcome it...or to be defeated in the face of it. Or the fear of "this world is going to hell in a hand basket!" Knowing what I do of the end times and the different things that are happening in this world, FEAR, has gripped me to the point of wanting to live in an underground hideout, just so I can protect my kids and my family.

But what Lucado brings to the surface in my life after reading this book is simple: Matthew 8:26: "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?". Why am I fearful when the God of the Universe knows the number of my days, the number of the hairs on my head...and why am I fearful when I am full of much more worth than the many sparrows? WHY? WHY? WHY? Because when I choose to let fear come into my life, I choose to take matters into my own hands instead of letting God take care of me, since of course, he loves me.

What I love about Lucado's book, Fearless, is that he walks the reader through the steps of knowing what fear is, why we have it, and then points the reader in the direction of where to place our misguided fears and how to overcome it. Definitely a great read, and I would recommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment